Saab is looking for a Human Resources Manager
We are looking for an experienced HR aficionado, who is interested in a
great opportunity to work part-time and truly achieve a balance between work
and other personal interests. This is a newly created position, and the
opportunity exists to become full-time over time. We are flexible and if you
like what we’re about, we’d love to hear from you.
Why Work Here?
Simply put, we are doing awesome and want you to join the team to make us even better!
In the past 12 months we have moved to a larger, custom designed office. Financially we are strong with a 3x profit increase in the past year. We introduced innovative benefits to the workforce, coming off the back of a successful acquisition in 2016 to cover more of the world. We treat our employees well and are open to suggestions to further engage and support employees as part of a family based culture. We are always open to suggestions in order to improve and enhance the work environment where we all thrive and bring our best selves forward. We give you great deal of independence in your job, provided you get the job done.
At Saab, we constantly look ahead and push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. We are making a huge difference in Ports and Terminals around the world, by making maritime operations safer, more efficient, protecting the environment and supporting law enforcement and coast guards around the world. We believe our work benefits all of society.
We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our vision – To Make the World a Better Place. http://saab.com/maritime
What will our HR Manager do?
You will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery, coordination and administration of HR activities and programs for Saab in Vancouver. The Vancouver site is part of Saab’s Traffic Management business with a focus on Ports & Terminals. Reporting to the Head of HR for Traffic Management, and the Managing Director in Vancouver, in this newly-created HR Manager position, you will ensure HR programs that attract, retain and engage employees are developed, implemented and managed effectively and efficiently. As the HR Manager, you will be responsible for coordinating Human Resources activities for a growing global business with an organization dispersed over three international sites. You will work in collaboration with management while further developing HR initiatives and programs that cover recruitment, compensation, performance management, employee relations and employee development. As part of a tight team of HR professionals, you will interact with the Ports & Terminals team around the world, and service operational units in Canada (Vancouver & Fredericton), Belgium and India, further interacting with HR colleagues in Sweden, USA and the Netherlands. You will be expected to work effectively both independently and collaboratively, and will be go-to person on all HR and people matters. You must have the confidence and experience to provide solutions, or to draw on available resources to determine reasonable solutions.
Overall priorities for the position include:
- Work with the Ports and Terminals segment management team to develop and promote a culture and work environment that supports each company’s strategic plan and annual operating plans
- Maintain annual employee satisfaction rating of 80% or higher
- Ensure HR policies and procedures are developed and implemented consistently and in accordance to local legislation for the Ports & Terminals segment
- Keep the management team informed of HR issues and concerns
- Ensure employee training and development is carried out throughout the company, so that employees develop competence in their roles and have a career path for future roles
- Provide guidance and coaching to management and staff
What skills do we want you to have?
To excel in this position, you need to be prepared to deliver outstanding service by having:
- Must have a relevant degree with a major in Human Resources or Business Administration, or a related discipline
- CPHR Designation
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in an HR generalist capacity
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in an HR management capacity
- Experience working in a multicultural, diverse environment, international HR context
- Expert Canadian HR knowledge in compensation, benefits, recruitment, training, organizational development
- Must have a strong working knowledge of applicable BC legislation and standards (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code)
- Ability to research, understand and apply applicable legislation in Canada, specifically BC and New Brunswick
- Must have exceptional communication skills, both verbal & written
- Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Must bring a high level of professionalism and maturity
- Must have discretion to handle confidential and sensitive matters in an appropriate, discreet manner
- Must be able to work well independently or in a team setting
- Must have strong organizational abilities and good time management and project planning abilities
- Demonstrated experience with employee conflict resolution
- Flexible to work in different time zones and able to travel to other office locations in Canada, US, Belgium, India and Sweden, if required
How to apply?
Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
quoting Saab – HR Manager 2017
in your subject line.
In order to be considered for this position, you must
answer the following questions in your cover letter:
What unique challenges do you believe the first HR person in the company may face?
What was the most challenging HR situation you’ve had to handle? Please describe and tell us the outcome.
What unique challenges and opportunities do you see in a multicultural work environment where English is the required business language?
**Only applicants who respond to these questions will be considered for this role**